Monday, June 9, 2008

The Great Fishbowl Quest #24

There are a lot of moments that have made me feel successful as a job-searching candidate, but I am eager to refer to myself now as a professional. I have held the belief that I've acted as a professional throughout my graduate work, so in most ways I don't see myself as a new professional. I do see myself, though, as a young professional with a lot to learn.

I am excited to say that I feel I have already made a large contribution to the institution I'm joining. I had learned that there was another position open at this institution and that they were still searching. One of my friends hadn't yet accepted a position and hadn't committed any excitement to many of her prospects. With her permission, I sent an e-mail to the two people that were heading the candidate search and an interview was set-up. She was invited onto campus and later offered the job!

The excitement for me is two-fold. My supervisor was involved in the candidate search and has now seen my commitment to recruiting that I mentioned enjoying. Also, I opened a door to my friend who accepted the job that they offered. It is probable that we will tag-team a large residence hall together. It is also a relief to think that I may get to work closely with a person that I already have a good relationship with.

Of course, being realistic, there is room for some concerns. The classic roommate example: yes, always been friends and worked together years ago, but will we clash heads running a staff of 30-something together? How will the fact that we already know each other be taken by other staff members?

I am far more excited than worried and I believe that in the eyes of my new supervisor, I'm already a professional at the institution.

No comments: