Thursday, June 26, 2008

The Great Fishbowl Quest #26

Two days ago I had to say goodbye to one of the closest friends I've made during my time here. It was horribly hard, as I feel that these are the first really close friends I've made. This means that this is my first wave of goodbyes that really mean something to me. With my friend's leave, it signaled the end of our core grad group. The worst part is yet to come. A hard goodbye each day starts tomorrow and ends when my wife and I move on Tuesday.

I'm the last leaving of my cohort, meaning there will be none left to see us off. That is something I'm actually grateful for. I like to be the first at a place to welcome and the last to see everyone else off.

This has definitely been the hardest part of the transition from one job to another. To me, finding an available job is easy, finding the right job is a little trickier, but leaving is the hardest part.

I believe that I will stay in close contact with the friends that I have come to love and care about. My wife and I have set up a blog with the hope of being able to keep the friends and "family" we've made here updated.

Like my blogging buddy, my writing background usually allows me the ability to express myself most clearly through the written word. I find it interesting that my last entry is one in which I'm processing as I'm writing. The processing doesn't stop. What will the relationships with my friends become? What will the relationships be like with the new full-time professional peers I'm joining? While this is my last entry in this blog, I have decided to continue blogging throughout my career. What better way to process and track progress? While it will not be a continuation of this blog, I will simply start a new chapter in a new book.

As millions of questions go through my mind, I can't help feeling my heart speeding up. I find my peace, though, in knowing that countless others have gone before us and countless others will follow.

I'm not looking to change the face of higher education, but I definitely want to leave my thumb print on it.

No comments: