Tuesday, June 3, 2008

The Great Fishbowl Quest #23

I read on my friend's Facebook page that she was stressed because she had two interviews in two days. Wow. Now I understand the reason it is so hard to describe placement exchanges to people.

I've learned that one of the easiest ways to explain my completed job search is through numbers.

100's: the number of positions I was qualified to apply for at institutions represented at the 2 placement exchanges I went to.

70+: the number of positions, institutions, and communities my wife researched.

19: the number of interviews I did at the 2 placement exchanges (not including second interviews).

30: the typical amount of minutes you get to spend forming an opinion in an interview.

10: the number of on-campus interview offers I received.

3: the number of on-campus interviews I took.

3: the number of jobs offered.

1: the number of jobs I took (thankfully).

Interestingly enough, the very first institution that contacted me for an interview, the first interview of the first day of the first placement exchange (SPE) ended up being our first choice of schools.

Before--and I believe I've posted about this--I held the opinion that you should schedule a "warm-up" interview if at all possible. Now I would recommend not going into your first interview with that mindset.

On a completely different note, few people have started leaving yet. I thought at this point I would be saturated with disappointed (yes...saturated...figured my body would be absorbing spilled tears and leaving a layer of salt over my skin). More than anything, I feel that this time in Pergatory (what I've taken to calling my current job) is preparing me mentally to leave. I'm not sad or concerned about leaving those I've come so close to. I believe the relationships that matter most to be will continue regardless of the distance. If they don't, then it will be because they lose importance.

Now it's time to get to packing and prepping the office for the next one coming in. Less than a month until I move.

28 days...

No comments: