Monday, June 9, 2008

Suddenly I see, this is what I wanna be.... #23

Things have been busy over the past few weeks. I've been settling down into my routine of working both my jobs and being as lazy as I can in between. I took a week off and traveled back home to see my family and also be a part of my best friend's wedding. My duties as Maid of Honor were extensive and tiring, but I had so much fun seeing old friends and dancing the night away.

Now it's back to working and preparing for the move. I brought some boxes back with me and they're sitting awkwardly in my apartment. I dropped off a bag of clothes (the first of probably many) at Goodwill and started going through drawers and cabinets to find things that need thrown away or that can be packed already. I find myself looking at my new institution's website frequently, fantasizing about what it's going to be like when I get there. A friend of mine has committed to helping me move and we've already started planning out the road trip. Things are definitely in motion.

I've been thinking a lot about the advice I would give to those who will be starting the job search next year, especially those who have never done something like this before - those people who, like myself, went straight through their education and find themselves with little clue as to how to conduct any sort of mass market job search. Here are a few things I've come up with:

- Make sure you have a handful of references that can attest to your experience is different areas.

- Have more experienced people look at your resume...a lot.

- Do all that you can to make it to a conference, and go with others that you know if you can. Having that support system there will be helpful, and getting the experience of interviewing in a high pressure situation will be helpful later on.

- Be wary of falling in love with a place because it "seems" wonderful.

- Read job descriptions thoroughly, and always do research on institutions you think you'd want to be at.

- Prepare some standard interview questions for each place you'll interview with as a way of measuring them against each other.

- Never underestimate the power of the pro and con list. It can help make your decision very clear.

No comments: