Thursday, June 19, 2008

The Great Fishbowl Quest #25

Since my last post I've spent a great deal of time figuring out how to condense all of my experiences both being recruited and recruiting into "tips." I think that the most important thing to remember is that there are no hard and fast rules that I think can apply to every situation. There seems to be pros and cons to most advice that I've read (including pros and cons to "pros and cons" lists). With all of that said, the best advice I can give that I believe is always beneficial is the following:

1. Do all of the research that you have time to do: about the process (how will you find your job?) and about the prospects (what opportunities are available at what institutions?).

2. Ask everybody you know about every prospect you're considering. If you do this, it is necessary that you also find out what every person's bias is (if you're not sure how to figure it out, just ask them) in regards to the institution.

3. Know your worth as a candidate. I think this one aspect is the most important of all in regards to getting the job you want once you find it. I think this is also critical to know in regards to how you design your search process. The best way to find out your worth is to talk to supervisors, instructors, and others in the field about your strengths, experiences, and weaknesses. Once you've identified your worth as a candidate, you'll have the ability to tailor your strategies based on the jobs you're applying for. For example, knowing I have apartment experience, I had more negotiating power with positions that would benefit directly from that experience.

4. Have the end in mind. Yes, we all want the perfect job in the perfect location for the highest pay (and we'd like to have it on the first day we start our search). Know that you can hold out early in the process, but need to cash in the chips before everybody stops playing.

5. Network throughout the whole process. More than likely you're going to communicate with more professionals during the job search process than you can remember. No matter how good of a candidate you are, you're only going to be able to accept one position at one institution. Because of this, you should use this experience (and get your money's worth) by connecting to as many professionals as you can and keeping contact with ones who share your same interests.

That's it. That's all I've got. I'll try to stick to those Top Five and save anything else I come up with for those that I'm lucky enough to mentor through the process next year. Ooh...make that Number 6...

6. Mentor a brand new candidate. Mentoring somebody new helps refresh your mind and helps put your own nerves at ease. Speaking as an Employer who has recruited before, it is also fantastic to see a candidate that you're interviewing introducing other candidates.

Alright--with that said--I'm going to go find some more boxes to pack. I move in 12 days. Woah.

No comments: