Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Suddenly I see, this is what I wanna be.... #3

I just spent the last 10 minutes trying to find a great quote about happiness or joy, or something like that. I can't find anything I like and that seems to fit, so I'll forget about being creative and just announce the news:

I got my first phone interview!!!


In a day of missed calls and voicemails (and also endless meetings), the end of my workday gave me a lovely message about wanting to set up a phone interview. The coolness factor: it's at a really awesome institution. The "Haha...are you serious?!?!" factor: it's for a type of position that I wasn't even looking really hard at. The "OMG freakout!" factor: the phone interview is this week. Whoa. My lovely supervisors at the office are helping me by completely encouraging me and also driving me towards the loony bin. Those of them that read this (because, as I mentioned before, secret-keeping is not my forte) will be delighted to see that I've finally made mention of this. My head supervisor (or, as I refer to her, The Queen of Me) had incredible fun giving me sample interview questions and threatening to put me through a mock interview. As excited as I am to graduate and get a job, my heart is breaking at the thought of leaving this office. I have had the most wonderful experience in this assistantship, an experience that I never could have had anywhere else. Each step I make towards graduation is a step closer to the day I actually have to leave. This is a feat I am not yet ready to tackle. (And let's all pause to find a tissue, because even writing it makes me misty-eyed).

Everything else sort of came to a grinding halt this weekend. I got done about a tenth of what I wanted to and made no additional progress with my cover letters. I don't even have a good excuse, honestly. In reality I'm lazy, enjoy procrastination, and sometimes suffer from a lack of motivation. But my huge to-do list that I now have is enough to put me back on track. And the goal of getting things taken care of in time to do a few fun things I have scheduled on my calendar is also good motivation.

As far as slogging through my classes......it's a mixed bag of emotions towards the semester. The one class I was hoping to be enlightening and interesting is currently extremely boring and off-topic. The other class that I've been looking forward to is......interesting. Let's say that not everyone has the same opinion on matters discussed, and it's very divided among first-years and second-years/doc students. I am loving the dynamic of it.


---------------------------------------------------------

I have to interrupt my own thought process and share that my wonderful "Queen of Me" supervisor just sent me a very detailed email with thoughts and ideas and things to question going into this phone interview. See, THIS is what I'm talking about. THIS is the incredible support that's there for me (aside from all the teasing and torture that will lead me to the loony bin) that makes me so lucky.

But I digress.

--------------------------------------------------------

I feel that this post reflects the disjointed and jumbled mess that is my brain right now. Maybe it's just that time of year, as my writing pal seems to be going through the same thing right now. I'm half-tempted to go back and try to make this post seem a little more well organized, but honestly, I don't even think I can focus properly enough to make it worth while. We'll leave it at this and I'll try and not be mentally all over the road for next time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know you will do great things in the future....Best of luck with the job hunt...I know you will find a great job...Even if it's far away I'm excited for you...I'll surely miss you though...always here for ya ;)

Anonymous said...

Don't try to organize your thoughts for the blogg. It is far more fun if you simply "be yourself". And no, you cannot have a raise in order to get a maid.