Thursday, February 14, 2008

Suddenly I see, this is what I wanna be....#5

I wish I had more exciting and interesting news to give everyone, but I don't. I haven't heard from any other places, and I haven't spent any time applying anywhere new. February is always a very hectic month for me, and this is proving no different than usual. On my last post, a comment was left asking what kind of schools I was looking at for positions. I wish I could give a definitive answer, but the fact remains that I'm not being very picky about much. I've experienced both the private and public atmospheres - I can see the benefits of both, and I enjoy the resources that both have to offer. I have been able to be at institutions ranging in size from the very small to the very large - and once again, I can see the appeal of both types. In the end it doesn't really matter which type of school I'm working at, so long as it's in a place I love and in a position that excites me.

That being said, my heart belongs to the liberal arts colleges. Would I give my eyeteeth to work at one someday? Yes. Does that NEED to be right now? No. Would it be beyond awesome if it DID happen right out of the gate like this? You bet.

My only gripe that I can make as of late is with my internship. Parts of it are amazing - I love the things I'm doing and I love the people I'm working with. Other parts of it are not so cool....such as my supervisor. The good part is that there's limited interaction there, but the bad part is that every interaction that IS there is one that leaves me feeling uninspired and feeling like I'm just not good enough. This seems to be the usual feeling according to everyone else I talked to that is professionally supervised by this person. It's making me nervous about what will be said on the evaluation of my performance, although I think I'll be okay.

I guess it's time to hop back on the job search horse and start searching some more. So much work and so much time spent, but so few results so far. It's a little disheartening, but I know it's early still. My ability to stay positive still exists, but I still can't help but feel a let down with each passing day.

1 comment:

Mel Gruver said...

Be encouraged that you are not the only one experiencing this whole crazy world of job search land. I am consistently encouraged by the similarities in our experiences. I am certain that you are good enough and I wish you well on the hunt. (Just don't apply for any of the jobs I want!) :)