Sunday, February 24, 2008

Suddenly I see, this is what I wanna be.... #7

I am attempting to not get my hopes up. I keep telling myself, "Self. Do not get overly excited about this."
The phone interview went very, very well. I felt like things were just right. It felt sincere and exciting. We'll see what happens next, but I'm hoping for the on-campus invite.

I also got my first email from a prospective employer who's interview at ACPA saying "Hey....we saw your resume and think you're mighty awesome. Wanna interview with us?" [I might be paraphrasing that :P] Job search-wise, it's been a pretty good week.

I like reading and then responding to reader comments that are left on posts (those that I catch, at least). Someone commented on my last post asking a few questions about my placement and conference choices.....
Why'd I pick ACPA? When I decided to attend the Joint Conference last year, I picked ACPA to be my affiliation. I tend to enjoy the things that ACPA does a little more than NASPA, and I knew I couldn't afford to go both places this year. So ACPA in Atlanta was the obvious choice.

Most of my job searching has been done on the web, usually with higheredjobs.com. Of course I also use studentaffairs.com (I think I might get kicked off writing this blog if I didn't) and I check the Chronicle, but it doesn't yield me much. I'm starting to peruse the ACPA Placement site a little more frequently.

The Joint Conference last year was the most amazing experience. The opening ceremony......whoa. I don't think I'll ever forget the moment that the slide show started, splashing facts about both organizations across the screen. There was this upbeat music playing behind it and I literally got chills. (Keep in mind that I'm a HUGE dork, and so these sorts of things amuse me) Despite the fact that I had only been a member of ACPA for about 6 months, I felt like I was so important to what was going on. The sessions were good, the weather was amazing, and I got to go to Disney World :) I was able to volunteer to help out at placement, and it was definitely a good thing to see. I would recommend anyone who's attending a conference but not interviewing to help out at placement. Getting a first-hand look at how things are run (and how hectic it is!) will be helpful later. If nothing else, I know to expect a busy day with many things all going on at once.

As for the cost....I am very fortunate to have financial outlets of my institution and my assistantship. It doesn't cover all the costs, but it sure is nice to have some money to work with.

When it comes to phone interview prep, I make sure I completely dissect the website of the institution. I try and get a feel for student life and also the department that I'm interviewing with. I always hit up the "Fast Facts" type page that gives all the important data figures about the institution. I have ideas jotted down for the standard "interview questions" that might come up, and I try to come up with at least 5 questions to ask - many times some of these may be answered by the interviewer during the course of the interview, but I try to have one or two that are obscure enough that I'll have to ask on my own. I also make sure I have a copy of the cover letter that I used, as well as a copy of the job description. Is all of this a good idea? It sure seems like it to me, but I don't have a job yet. Ask me in about six months :)

No comments: